02 September 2013

The A to Z Book Survey

I stole this from Melbourne on my Mind who stole it from someone else!


Author you’ve read the most books from:
Jodi Picoult. I have 8 of her books on my bookshelf right now and I have a few others that family have borrowed from me.

Best Sequel Ever:
I’m not entirely sure. I’m just going to go with the Undead series because they are trashy junk-food-type books but they are hilarious. And while all my friends were loosing their minds over True Blood and The Vampire Diaries, I was reading the Undead series because I didn’t want to give in to the fangirl hype of the other books.

Currently Reading:
I’m not. I’m trying to survive my last weeks of university. But I have started The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde



Drink of Choice While Reading: 
I don’t. Oh, well tea I suppose. But that isn’t because I chose to, that’s just because I always have a cup of tea in my hand.

E-reader or Physical Book?
Physical book. I love the smell of old books, I love the smell of new books, I love the smell of libraries. I’m old school. I can see the benefits of having an e-reader, but I just can’t invest in one; I’m not ready. That, and I get annoyed with looking at screens (says the blogger).

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated In High School:
Knowing my luck? Neville Longbottom. Which isn’t so bad, he turned out pretty alright. I would have wanted to date Peter (Chronicles of Narnia) or Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) or maybe one of the “metal head” looking guys from Lord of The Rings.

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance: 
Shame by Salman Rushdie. I had to read it for a class, but I actually really liked it in the end.
 
Hidden Gem Book: 
Birthmarked by Caragh O’Brien. It’s more of a YA book, but I really liked it and I want to read the next one in the series.
 
Important Moment in your Reading Life:
My Aunt bought me my first Harry Potter book and she wrote a message in cover. I still have it. But that book changed my life. It really inspired me to read. When I was growing up, my dad use to read to me and he filled my room with books but it wasn’t until Harry Potter when I really took interested in reading for myself.

Just Finished: 
Dracula. Don’t even.

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:
I’m trying to turn against “pop” books. I like to look for books that may not be getting the attention they need or deserve. I go looking in the furthest bookshelf, of the deepest book bin in order to find a book that the “masses of people” haven’t discovered yet. I’m also trying to read more classics, just because everyone should read a classic or two in their lifetime.

Longest Book You’ve Read:
Tried to read Ulysses – I’m yet to finish it (or pick it up again)
Order of the Phoenix appears to be the biggest book in my collection which I have finished though.

Major book hangover because of:
Nineteen minutes by Jodi Picoult…maybe..or The Last Battle by CS Lewis.
Most of Jodi Picoult’s books make me think about an issue or just make you question situations that seem black and white; usually they leave me really contemplating things – which leads to a head and crisis of conscience. As for The Last Battle, the end of that reduces me to ugly tears. Enough said. 

Number of Bookcases You Own:

Two. I want more though. More bookshelves means more room for more books!

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:
All of the Harry Potter books. Jane Eyre. Wuthering Heights. Dubliners.

Preferred Place To Read:
 
Somewhere quiet. Study Room. Bedroom. On the train (sometimes) 

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:

“It is just an illusion here on Earth that one moment follows another one, like beads on a string, and that once a moment is gone, it is gone forever.” Slaughterhouse 5

“It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors” The Picture of Dorian Gray

“I’d much rather pretend I’m somewhere else, and any time I open the pages of a book, that happens.” Between the Lines

“The act of reading is a partnership. The author builds a house, but the reader makes it a home.” Between the Lines

“How do you know that you are not part of a book? That someone's not reading your story right now?” Between the line


Reading Regret:

Twilight Books and Dracula (although,I’m glad I finished that one).

Series You Started And Need To Finish(all books are out in series):

Undead series. Birthmarked series. Umm? I don’t think there’s any others.

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books: 
Dubliners by James Joyce
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 

Unapologetic Fangirl For:
 
Harry Potter. End of discussion.
 
Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others: 
I don’t know… 

Worst Bookish Habit:

Jumping ahead out of boredom. A character might be rambling on and I’ll just skip to the next page. Dracula specifically.

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:
Virginia Woolf’s To the Lighthouse

Your latest book purchase: 
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
 
ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):
Dracula because I wanted it the hell out of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about physical books...I am sad that I have to leave all of mine behind when I move to London in a month :( I will be stuck with my e-reader for awhile!
    (ps you have great taste in books! I have added some of these to my list)

    http://thelovelytwentysomethings.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping my and reading my blog. I have to apologize in advance, my blog does require word verification in order to comment. I know how frustrating this can be, I hate having to enable this process, but I really do appreciate comments.

I am simply trying to ensure human beings are leaving comments rather than spam-bots!